With so many choices, our design experts wanted to give you some tips on lighting to help you get the most out of your next lighting project:
- Keep it in the Family – Lighting designers make it easy to create consistency and flow in your home. When selecting lighting, shop by family. You can find a chandelier, pendants, sconce, flush mount and more within a design family. Check out the video from Kichler on the right to see some great examples.
- Pick a Finish and Carry it Through – For instance, in the kitchen, try to match your light fixtures to cabinet hardware, hinges, plumbing fixtures and door handles. Not everything has to match perfectly, but try to keep them in the same finish family.
- New Construction – Plan lighting into your construction project. If you have an open wall, that is the perfect time to run wiring for lighting. Think about how you will use the space and where switches will be most convenient. Some options you may want to consider – track lighting, ceiling fans, under cabinet lighting, recessed ceiling lighting, pendants … so many choices to illuminate your space!
- Ceiling Fans – Keep air circulating and shine some light at the same time. Ceiling fans are a great choice both inside and out.
- Smart Switches – Go beyond the On/Off switch. If you're installing a fan with a light, consider adding a switch that controls and dims the light and controls the fan speed.
- Corrosion and Metals – Bermuda and the Caribbean offer some of the most beautiful views in the world, but are often not so lovely on metal. For your outdoor lighting fixtures, consider a non-metallic piece for years of performance and durability.
- Size and Scale – There are so many choices from large multi-tier chandeliers to simple, elegant 3-light chandeliers. Take a look at your space, ceiling height and overall feel of your space to determine how large or small your fixtures should be. It’s helpful to get perspective and inspiration from the Lighting Gallery and interior design magazines.
- Recessed Lighting – This is a great, minimalistic way to add light to your space. We work with Progress Lighting because they have everything you need for recessed lighting.
- Here Comes the Sun – When selecting lighting, think about the natural light that is available to you – windows, skylights, glass doors. Think about your lighting needs both during the day and at night.
Post a Comment