Here is the checklist and hurricane help measures that Bermuda's EMO (Emergency Measures Organization) advises:
- Collect and bring inside all the loose stuff that may be lying outdoors like garden furniture, plants on pots, barbecues etc. Two wheelers should be brought inside.
- Put the window shutters in place. When the hurricane strikes, it is advisable that you keep one window shutter open by an inch in order to reduce pressure build up.
- Remember that if the eye of the storm passes overhead, a strong wind in an opposite direction will return.
- During the storm, unplug all electronic goods that do not have surge protections. Also pull out the transmission cable from the TV socket. Keep only one light switched on.
- If you see there are torn out electrical wires or branches that have fallen on wires, do not touch them. They may be live and can be fatal.
- If you use a portable generator, ensure that it has been properly earthed. Use it outdoor under a shade. Appliances should be directly plugged into the generator rather than putting the generator into the house lines.
- Take gas for your vehicles and fill up the tanks in advance. However cooking gas cylinders should not be used.
- In areas where there may be seawater contamination, any pipes coming from the roof or other places and leading to the water tank should be closed off.
For a list of items to have on hand, click here.
Post a Comment